Friday, May 23, 2008

Torchwood

So many things we see or hear speak to us in our own ways. Yesterday I was watching Torchwood (British SciFi show) with my family and one of the quotes from the show did just that.

“The average life is full of near-misses and absolute hits, of great love and small disasters. It's made up of banana milkshakes, loft insulation, and random shoes. It's dead ordinary and truly, truly amazing. What you've got to realise is, it's all here now, so breathe deep and swallow it whole, because take it from me: life just whizzes by, and then all of a sudden it's –“

It not only speaks to me personally, but speaks to me as a gardener – not the loft insulation part maybe, but the rest of it. Today I was picking my lettuce which is definitely an absolute hit. It hasn’t been bothered by anything. No bugs, no holes, even its first true leaves didn’t rot on the ground. From start to finish it was perfect. And then the wind kicked up and ripped off the plastic on my hoop tunnel. The plastic was beating up my eggplant seedlings still in their pots and my Aussie heirloom tomato already planted in the ground. My heart beat faster as I rescued the poor things. All very ordinary occurrences in the garden. A harvest here. A disaster there. Hoping for rain and getting more sun. It is all in its totality a fabulous thing, awesome and ordinary all at the same time. We just have to truly look to see the wonder around us.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Daphne - thanks so much for visiting me today. I tried to leave a comment earlier but it seemed like Blogger gobbled it up somehow.

    Love the quote - it's so very true. I just planted my very first veggie garden and wonder which will be the hits and which will be the small disasters!

    ReplyDelete