Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Sun is Shining Again

And you had better wear your sunglasses since the snow is blinding. I was told that yesterday morning we had an official 15 inches in Arlington with hours of snowfall left to go. I haven't a clue what our final total is, but probably a foot and a half.

I looked out the back door this morning and the snow had drifted. It wasn't as deep as my three foot fence, but it was over two feet there.

I shoveled my way to the compost pile and while I was there I knocked the snow off the weather station. It had been registering a zero wind speed for about a day since it was locked in snow. It looks so peaceful out there. I have a carving of Lono (Hawaiian god of agriculture) that I bought many many years ago when I was on the big island. I put him in a place of honor in the center of my little potager. Now he is buried. I wonder how he is faring under all that alien snow.

I also wonder how my tunnel is faring. Yes that is a photo of it. I swear to you it is under there somewhere. Maybe I'll just leave it like that for now. The snow is good insulation. If it hasn't collapsed totally yet, maybe it won't. I'll have to clean it off before Tuesday though as we are supposed to have another storm. It might be rain this time.

10 comments:

  1. The snow was wicked. We got 10 inches of heavy, wet, icy snow. We lost power for about 10 hours when Brockton blew a fuse. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that you must be feeling a bit better since you went out and shoveled some snow.

    The snow is so pretty, we only got about 3-4 inches. The storm once again missed us by about 20 miles. I really want one Big Snow Storm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrr, it looks too cold for this weather wimp, but it is beautiful. Poor Lono..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had trouble growing veggies in the winter - not from cold but from lack of air circulation and resultant mildew. I have no solution for you with this...my problems were in a solar greenhouse where i needed to stir the air more often. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please get some pictures when you are opening your tunnel. This is a great test for it! Maybe you can tuck your camera inside it and take a few shots before it's all uncovered. That would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of snow! We got 5 inches on Tuesday night but it then turned to rain and now I have piles of slushy snow here and there. Not nearly as pretty as your backyard. :D

    We have a pineapple express rain event heading towards us so my future holds only more rain (and lots of it!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no. Not another storm! I'm sure your veggies are appreciating the added layer of snow. I'm sure you'll thaw out before we do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's a TON of snow. We've been out of school all week because of six inches...I can't imagine a foot and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mother nature seems to be in a bad mood early this year because the snow is getting thicker and I can't help but shove my way outside the fence. I don't know about my garden because I haven't seen my plants anymore.:) Hope the weather will be less cruel next week..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, that would be snow. We're reacquainted with the lovely white stuff. It's been years since I've lived in a snow area- gotta say, I love it! I have a renewed sense of awe for green growing things in the spring!

    Happy gardening to you, Daphne.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete