Monday, April 2, 2012

Harvest Monday - April 2, 2012

You have to love spring. There isn't much variety, but things are growing. Even if there aren't huge harvests, there are promises of future harvests. Right now I anticipate peas. Not that I'll get to eat them for a while. They are only a few inches tall, but I am dreaming of being buried under them come harvest time.

This week my first harvest was some spinach and chives. I really have to get out to the over wintered spinach and do a real harvest for the freezer, but this was just for fresh eating. These are the first of the chives I've harvested. I did harvest another bunch but they never got weighed or photographed. During harvests seasons the scale sits on the counter, but I was still keeping it in the cupboard where I'm too lazy to get to it usually. So the scale has made a come back to the corner of the kitchen counter again. Hopefully I'll be better about weighing everything, but you just know things will be forgotten anyway.

I also harvested some more kale. The Red Russian kale is sprouting all along its stem and making small leaves. I'm guessing it is getting ready to bolt soon. But the weather has been very moderate this last week and the leaves grew but not many signs of flowers yet. The one flower I see there, I'm watching and isn't even big enough to pick and eat.

  • Herbs 0.03 lbs lbs
  • Greens 1.44 lbs
  • Weekly total 1.47 lbs
  • Yearly total 14.64 lbs
  • Tally -$520.30

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

17 comments:

  1. My kale is doing exactly the same as yours but at the exact opposite time of the year. Plants are odd sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dreaming of being buried in the amount of squash I hope to produce this year. My kids would love for it to be peas, but down here we have to plant them in the fall. They just won't do this time of year. It gets too hot too fast.

    I love that spring brings the promise of food to come and growth, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your red Russian kale look so beautiful, I am envious. Hope we have sunny and warmer weather this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My harvests are a bit on the boring side right now (kale, more kale, some asian greens and lettuces now and then, and chives. Like you though, I have lots coming along that will provide more varied and interesting harvests in the not too distant future. My peas have emerged too and I am more excited to see them then the event actually justifies...probably because they epitomize the garden truly awakening from the winter slumber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes...the hope and promise of more exciting things to come while being grateful for what is happening right now, despite the blandness of it all :-) Hope you are having a happy Monday, Daphne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you have might not be bountiful, but it is beautiful. Must be great to see the spring crops coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of greens, but the tomatoes will be along soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's only April and I'm already forgetting to weigh everythign! UGH. I'm considering going to a total tally weight. At least I'll have a weight then. LOL. Beautiful spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the spinach - we have such a hard time with that green!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful spinach, my overwintered spinach is not doing well, I pulled them last week, I've tried different varieties, it seems Bloomsdale is the only one I can rely on for winter production.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All my kale is bolting except the one I want to save seed from. I usually forget to weigh my herbs until it is too late!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely spinach! I never got mine to sprout in the fall so I've transplanting some out this spring. Here's to hoping it doesn't bolt too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Daphne, nice to see that Spring has sprung for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That spinach looks delicious. I'll trade you some lettuce and corn for it and we can both have awesome salads!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love spring to....... all those new shoots appearing
    Enjoy your lovely fresh tender spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so right about spring, the winter harvests are ending and the summer plants aren't ready, but there are so many promises and expectations!

    ReplyDelete