Thursday, March 28, 2013

Planting Peas

That frozen soil that I turned over two days ago was all unfrozen yesterday late morning. So I finally got the peas in. I plant them pretty close. I sow them in two rows down the support six inches apart. I couldn't do the whole 16' length. The last 8' were still frozen. I'll plant those last 8' in mid April sometime. I like to put up the supports before I sow. Pea roots dislike being disturbed so putting them in before there are pea roots in the bed is much better. I'll put up the twine as they get bigger.

I also went out and got lime for the rest of the beds. Once those were done, I figured the rock wall garden ought to be done. To do that I had to unearth the fig trees that were wrapped up all winter long (figs roots are hardy here, but not the branches). I've never done it before and I really wasn't sure when I should take the protection off. I also don't know which stems survived or if I can get them to grow straight up again if they did. I guess time will tell. I know some of the branches are dead as one snapped off when I was trying to unearth it. But I did get it uncovered and all the leaves were brought over to the compost pile. Then I could lime.

As I was going by my front walk I noticed the first crocuses flowering there. We had had the main spot by the foundation come up, but I don't see those much. I do see my walk way ones all the time when they are in bloom.

Sadly not everything is happy. The rosemary in the circle garden survived quite well. I think that one is Arp, which is a cold hardy rosemary.

But the other two by the warm foundation died over the winter. One was Hill Hardy which is also a cold hardy rosemary. The other was Tuscan Blue which is only hardy to zone 8. Last winter it survived which was shocking, but not this winter.

12 comments:

  1. I have some snow peas I need to get in today or tomorrow. They're climbers so I need to put up supports much like yours. Our ground isn't frozen but it is soaking wet, so that will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got those peas planted! My Arp survived just one winter. I haven't had a rosemary plant in 2-3 years. I really need to invest in another and put it by the patio where my very first plant survived for ten or more years before I killed it with harsh pruning. I have a thyme there now, but I never use it for seasoning, so a rosemary would be a good replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This time last year we had the warmest March for 50 years, now we are firmly stuck in Arctic conditions for the forseeable future. Our weatger forecast is saying "No sign of a warm-up until at least mid-April". When am I ever going to get any seeds in??

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting how the rosemary in the more open area survived and the ones next to the foundation died. That one is certainly hardy!

    How deep does your soil freeze? I'm surprised at how quickly it thaws and you are able to plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how deep it actually freezes. They put pipes 3' below the surface to keep from breaking. I'm sure it freezes normally at least a foot as I've had the surface dethaw quickly some years and it still be frozen down that far. I have sandy soil and it seems to thaw out rather quickly. My old garden with clay soil was a lot slower.

      Delete
  5. It's nice that you got the peas in. I'm sure the dark soil warms up quickly. I don't think of rosemary as being very cold-tolerant, but of course here it never has to be!

    And Granny, I used too _much_ thyme in my sauce last night! Ugh. I think, Daphne, you're better off with rosemary.

    And the fig unearthing is pretty neat. I know about it, since I remember people wrapping their clematis, but I never saw it done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rosemary bush is HUGE! Do you use them a lot in your cooking? I'm challenging myself to try to use it more this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the bread I make is rosemary bread. Both my husband and I love it. I like rosemary on most meats too. Other than that I just use small amounts here and there.

      Delete
    2. Pan roasted new red potatoes with rosemary. Yum.

      Delete
  7. Lucky you to get your peas planted! Nothing done here yet. Sun did shine today but I wasn't home most of the day! Pretty crocuses! Always bring a bit of cheer to spring! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also got my peas in today!!!!! Yipeeee! And also put up my trellis for them to climb. Wow, that rosemary bush is HUGE!!! I have to try that kind. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow getting your peas in already!! WOW

    ReplyDelete