Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Spring Is Being Slow This Year

Usually in the Boston area we plant our peas on St. Patrick's Day (March 17th). As you can see we are still covered in snow. That isn't all that unusual. What is unusual is that we are getting some single digit temperatures the next couple of nights since we are in the middle of a cold spell. Even the long range temperatures are frigid. We aren't quite hitting record cold temps but usually our normal lows are in the high 20Fs and our highs are around 40F at the end of February. We did have a very short warm spell earlier and it did melt out some of the snow. As you can see the taller of the kale is now sticking out from under. I hope it doesn't mind yet another arctic blast.

One of the garnet sweet potatoes that I started earlier is starting to sprout a bit. And I started two Beauregard and two Purple sweet potatoes.

I went through my seeds now that they have all been delivered and put them in order. You can see I make out a sheet that tells me when to start my seeds indoors. This is not a hard and fast chart. In fact I was supposed to start some seeds this week, but I think I might wait a bit more. I don't think the ground will be unthawed by the solstice. If it were a warm winter I would start hardy spring things a bit early.

I use my sheet to sort my seeds. I take the ones I'm starting indoors and put them in order based on their start date. I have a similar sheet for seeds that get direct sowed. I keep that box upstairs in the plant nursery during the seed starting season. When I'm done with a bunch of them they get put back in the other box based which I sort based on type (like brassicas, cucurbits, and greens).

So for now the only plants I have growing are my onion seedlings. And I'll play it safe and wait another week to start my other seeds. I'm beginning to get impatient for spring.

9 comments:

  1. St. Patrick's Day is the date we plant our peas in Maine as well. Not happening this year as there is still 2-feet of snow on the ground. Your onions look happy growing under the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Japanese Sweet potatoes are still not sprouting, but they each have a root growing out the bottoms of each. I thought by now I would be seeing more growth, I am going to put them in a warmer spot to see if that helps. Your onions look very healthy. I tried winter sowing my onion seeds this year, but who knows when they will germinate with this crazy cold weather we are having in PA. I usually plant my peas the end of March, but I don't know about this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, it's chilly. Normally the maple syrup season is in full swing in CT and MA by this time (days in the 40s, nights in the 20s is the ideal temperature range for it) but the sap isn't running yet, it's so cold! And typically I make my own seedling starter soil by mixing my garden soil with compost half and half...but even the sunniest, most protected parts of the garden and compost pile are frozen solid right now.

    I'm trying to look on the bright side. Supposedly having the ground continuously frozen a foot deep or more for several months brings soil biology to a complete halt, lessening the year to year transmission of soil diseases. (Assuming we do a bit to help the beneficial microorganisms out by adding compost and rotating crops.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm playing it safe too. I should have sown my early greens but now but didn't want to risk it. I'm sure the weather will change abruptly in the coming weeks, like they tend to do in our parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am wondering if it will ever get warm enough to plant! I have wandered around and have a little green in the cold frame that made it so far but it is not very big and a little kale still living but it is not very big. Had some larger Kale but it is under the snow! I think I need to go reread "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second your sentiment. Winter has worn out its welcome. It is 9 out there with -6 the overnight low.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm starting my seeds late also, not because of the weather, just dragging my feet, finally got some seeds started, the tomatoes and peppers sprouted, waiting for eggplants to prick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I should read up on growing sweet potatoes.....

    I'm impressed with your organization. My seed packs live in a ziplock bag, and that's about as organized as it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must get organized by you. I'm afraid we are just flying by the seat of our pants at the moment.

    ReplyDelete