Monday, March 23, 2015

Harvest Monday, 23 March 2015

My meals are getting less and less from the garden. The carrots are mine, but the kale is from the market. However the rest of the meal is a bit deceptive as it has small bits of the garden in it. The bread has my dill seed and the chicken is made with my dill relish. Even the homemade mayo has some of my garlic powder in it.

Cabbages are always on sale for St. Patrick's Day, so Last week I bought some cabbages. I combined them with some bought spring onions and some of my fresh garden carrots to make okonomiyaki. One of the sauces I use on top is plum sauce that I made two summers ago. The sauce contains onions, garlic, and mustard seed that I grew. I still have a few fresh carrots left. Not many though. Most of my remaining garden carrots are frozen. I wish I had more that were fresh as they seem to be holding up amazingly well and the fresh ones taste so much better. Bolero really does keep very well.

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

13 comments:

  1. Read you broke your snow record, did you get additional snow last week? Going to try my hand at making garlic powder this year. Will look up your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mother Nature's gift to us for the first day of spring was snow. Luckily none in the forecast for this week.

      Delete
  2. I had to look up okonomiyaki. as I had never heard of it Sorry it says medlar after my name - ot must have autofilled from info on a different Linky

    ReplyDelete
  3. This time of year is definitely the Hungry Gap - and for me the prospect of new fresh veg from the garden is still a distant dream. Once the PSB is finished, there will be a long pause. You are lucky to have some carrots in store still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bolero definitely sounds like a winner. Although my carrots are still keeping more or less ok, they are nowhere near as sweet as I would have liked, so I'm using them primarily in cooked dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bolero is about my favorite carrot, though I don't store or freeze them. It produces reliably without pest damage. I like the size and shape for cooking and in salads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Daphne, This is a hard time of year for us gardeners. Your garlic powder and dill relish sounds great. I just keep my carrots in the refrigerator. Do you have a better way of keeping them? Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bolero sounds like a very popular carrot so I'm giving it a try this year also. I never did give okonomiyake a try with my last bounty of cabbage, but it's still on my wish list, it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bolero did great here too, though the fall crop is long gone. The overwintered kale is coming on though there's not a lot of it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know about the Boleros! We've never been able to grow enough to keep, but I'm hoping that'll change this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've still got a really good range thanks to your preserving skills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto on having to look up okonomiyaki - sounds delicious now that I know what it is ... and a homemade plum sauce? Mmm....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrots as a crop are pretty much out of the question here, but I'm lucky to have sources nearby - I use a LOT of raw, grated, or steamed carrots all year round, between myself and the goats. And last week I tried making a very simple carrot-ginger-cashew soup for the first time, which was tasty enough to make again soon.
    In terms of homegrown, I'm down to two tiny winter squashes...and that's the last bit of Garden 2014.

    ReplyDelete