Monday, March 9, 2015

Harvest Monday, 9 March 2015

Chicken Marsala

Sabzi Polo ba Mahi (with red rice instead of brown)

Shrimp (with no name how sad)

Though the sweet potatoes, carrots, and squash are still my own, the greens have changed. I bought some bags of frozen kale and spinach. The kale is OK especially when the shrimp sauce was poured over the top. The spinach is awful. Ick. My frozen tasted so much better. I guess I won't get that again. Maybe I'll try some fresh chard.

In previous years as the end of the greens came, I'd slow down eating them. But I'm really trying to keep my intake of vegetables high for my health. Which means a lot of eating of veggies that are not my own. The fresh bought isn't all that bad. Broccoli and asparagus are my favorites. I'll probably be eating a lot of those over the next couple of months until the garden picks up. But I really miss my own veggies.

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

12 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the flavor of the store-bought veggies. We're buying cole crops now to tide us over until the fresh stuff is ready, and they don't taste nearly as good as the homegrown ones. I was amazed at how much more flavorful our homegrown spinach is compared to that from the store. I think one of the reasons I didn't like kale when I was younger is that I was buying it from the store, or eating it canned. Talk about ick! Once I had a taste of the homegrown stuff, I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our stores are running down too! Luckily we still have the spinach bed producing, But we are moving into a few weeks where the only thing we will have from the garden is spinach and chard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After seeing your meals, I'm now starving...all of them look delicious! And I so agree with you and Dave - some produce in the grocery store is not bad, but some is pretty awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No harvesting for us this week and definitely no seafood as I am afraid neither if us is a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too know what you mean about homegrown versus store bought. There are certain produce I will not buy period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well actually I think you have done well to get to this point before having to rely predominantly on shop-bought veg. My little garden never produces sufficient quantity to set any aside for later. It mostly gets consumed immediately it is ripe. I'm with Sue on the "No seafood" too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like some tasty eating, making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chicken marsala looks delish!!! I think we all miss our fresh veggies from the garden. Won't be long now! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just reminded me I still have a bunch of sweet potatoes in storage, they were harvested last October and I've forgotten them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing you've had your own greens for so long! I didn't get enough to preserve but have had a few fresh harvests over our mild winter (other parts of the UK have not been so mild, with lots of snow).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I kept up with growing greens indoors under lights. It is going to be a while before the snow melts and the garden dries out this spring. Store bought fresh produce doesn't taste good to me anymore either, but I don't mind frozen veg as much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so fortunate to be able to get something fresh from my garden at this time of year. Once upon a time I used to call the produce department at the grocery store the "vegetable morgue", it's not so bad anymore, but I still prefer homegrown. I'll be back with a harvest post next week, at the moment I'm on vacation - and missing my veggies.

    ReplyDelete