Thursday, March 12, 2015

It's a Start

Yesterday was 58F and last night it didn't get below freezing, so the melt has really started I probably have about 20" to go still though. And can you see it?

Some of the top leaves of the kale are starting to show. Whoot!

Indoors, I had some overgrown seedlings to plant up.

I potted up the Asian greens and the lettuce. The umbellifloras on the right side are growing slowly as always. That is why I start them so early. They didn't get moved. Though later this week I'll make more soil blocks and give them new neighbors.

I used the compost from Ecofest for filling the pots. I probably ought to have some sand or something else for drainage too, but I don't have any on hand, so I'll see how it goes.

I put some of them in a couple of old window boxes and the rest in 4" pots. I'll keep them in those pots until harvest. I want to see if that space is big enough to get a harvest or not. I have a feeling water will be my biggest issue. A six inch pot would probably be better, but I don't have those. I only have 4" ones. I'm not much of a container gardener, so I'm not going to go out and buy anymore.

Today was too windy and cold to put them outside, but hopefully tomorrow they will see the sun for a couple of hours.

8 comments:

  1. Although we are at about the same stage when it comes to the melt - hurray for above freezing temps! - you are way further ahead on the planting front. I think I smell a harvest in the near future for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! Spring is on its way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice start! The sun shone here today but it was a little chillier compared to yesterday. We pruned our fruit trees for the first time. Hope we did it correctly!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, even if the plants don't do too well, at least this task will have given YOU a psychological boost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those plants look great! You should be enjoying the greens in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those greens look wonderful. You are way ahead of me ... I really need to get some greens seeded soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 60 degree temps were nice. I can now see my driveway. Only thing I have growing is the shallots. Seeing those greens is inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete